Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 26, 27: 22nd, 23rd April 2011

The day started with us having to pack up the tent, and unpack again after 10 minutes... (we had to change the camp site number, remember?) so much for not planning the stay!

The adventure of the previous day left us wanting to do nothing but sleep... so this was the day of us relaxing.. and camping like it should be.. chilling, doing nothing, building fires, roasting marshmallows...

I was complaining about the cold, wrapped up in woolens AND a jacket, when I saw 2 girls walking down the lane.. in shorts and a T shirt!!!
"Aren't they feeling cold" I turned to V
"It isn't that cold actually. Guess age is catching up with you"

Smart Arse! ... Sure shot way to get me to stop complaining! Needless to say, I did not feel the cold all day!

The only eventful thing that we did all day was go to the national forest outside the park boundary, and collect the dead-and-down firewood to build a huge fire in the evening. Now, not that we couldn't have bought it at the camp store.. but that wouldn't be fun, would it? I wanted to do it for the thrill of it! Gathering firewood is not allowed at the Grand Canyon, but it is, in the national forest, just 2 miles outside the park!!.. So what the hell! It was fun! Cheap thrill, I agree. but thrill nonetheless :D

The next morning was adios to the Grand Canyon, and on our way to the next pit stop! We didn't know what it would be yet! We just knew that we were headed towards Texas, via the Carlsbad Caverns National Park.. We ride all day and stop by for the evening/night, wherever the sun sets!

The gentleman at the Grand Canyon (the one who put us to shame with his knowledge of India) had mentioned of a good Indian restaurant in Flagstaff, and I was craving for some Indian food, so we decided to stop by for lunch! Stuffed ourselves at "Delhi Plaza" at Flagstaff, AZ and hit the road... Unfortunately no pictures.. :( we were busy eating...

The winds were getting stronger and brutal, and before we realized, we lost the mirror housing to the winds... :(( .. we even went back 20 miles to see if we could find it roadside.. but no luck...

Having wasted enough time back and forth, it was getting dark and we needed a place to sleep. We stopped by a small town called Winslow.. and all I could think of was a motel room to sleep..
We looked around 2 motels (which had terrible rooms, and there was no way we were sleeping in those beds), when we spotted a small motel with a random name.
"Let's try this one last place, else we will just close our eyes and sleep in whatever bed they have" I was on verge of sleeping in the parking lot

As luck would have it, this one had an Indian woman at the reception... so I asked her in Hindi if they had a room. She replied in a heavily accented English. Now this was weird... She was traditionally dressed and there was no way it looked like she wouldn't speak the language. So I tried again.. But she insisted on speaking in English. I finally gave up... maybe she had been here long, and genuinely did not understand Hindi. U never know..

We completed the formalities and checked in the room. Just then, I heard a woman screaming on top of her lungs.. "JALDI KARO" (Hindi for 'hurry up').. I could have ignored it.. but the bitch in me did not.... So I opened the door and peeped out.. and smiled.... "So you do speak Hindi after all".. Well, I didn't need to say this.. the smile on my face, and the expression on her's.. said it all .. :D... I did sleep well... LOL...

No comments:

Post a Comment