Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 23: 19th April 2011

To Grand Canyon


Finally left for Grand canyon at around 1 pm. We had been only around 40 miles when I spotted a Walmart.
"Stop, stop, stop"
"What happened?" I had nearly sent him in a state of shock
"There's a Walmart. let's throw the stove in their faces" I was excited
"What is wrong with you, you idiot? NEVER scream like that when we are riding." V didn't share my excitement.
"OK, Sorry" <puppy face> (always works :D)

Stove duly returned, $53 pocketed and spent in a matter of 1 hour. Good fun :D 
I always think of shopping as fun, V however begs to differ (yup, I do make him beg if he wants to differ :D). 

As we rode along, I couldn't help wondering about the vastness of the country, and about how blessed they are to have the natural resources they do. God DID bless America! It pains however to see that most of the Americans take a lot for granted. I guess, when the basics of life ARE granted, you would tend to believe that way. The wants then become needs, and the needs are given. There is a stark contrast between how WE (Indians) and THEY (Americans) perceive our lives. Our 'luxuries' are their 'must-haves' and somehow you cannot appreciate the gift of small mercies when you have so much given to you on a silver plate. You want more comfort and believe that that's what you need! You don't want to do your dishes, and so you NEED a dishwasher. (You of course wouldn't worry about how much electricity and water it consumes) You need your clothes washed and ready instantly, so you wouldn't wait to dry it in the sun, you would NEED a dryer. (Again, you won't bother about how much gas or electricity it consumes). Life is about BIGGER, and MORE. It's super-size and it's disposable. And i couldn't help wonder - America IS truly a nation of disposables. AND it is a nation of waste management, I must give due credit. For the amount of disposables they produce, they are extremely efficient in their waste management. 

They do believe in recycling (trust me, they recycle hell of a lot), BUT they don't believe in re-using or even reducing. It is ironical. 

But what the hell, I thought. They can afford it. Mother nature has truly blessed them with natural resources - Land, water, minerals, and money they made out of it!

V poked me with his elbow, bringing me back to the ride, "Stop sleeping"
"I am not sleeping" I really wasn't. I was deep in my demented thoughts 
"Stop lying too"
"What the hell, I said I wasn't sleeping" 
"Then why aren't you responding?"
"To what?"
"I told you thrice to keep clicking pictures"
"Oh, Ok..." and I looked around at the landscape. It was clear that we were nearing the Grand Canyon, and everything looked like it! 

Another hour's ride, and we saw the sign welcoming us to the Grand Canyon. WOW, made it! BUT the excitement was short-lived. Just when I thought we were there, we realized that Mather campground was the only operational one at that time of the year and it was on the South Rim';and we had entered from the East, so another 55miles (or so) to where we were supposed to be. 



Finally made it to the camp ground registration by 630 in the evening. Not bad, all we had to do was dump our stuff, set up the tent and relax for the night! IF only we found a camp site that was! Turned out that there wasn't a single site available for the next 2 days. What rotten luck! The spring holidays had started, and it was a national park week, so free entry... hence the rush. THANK YOU!
Luckily the gentleman at the registration desk was helpful enough to tell us that if we went another 5 miles to a town called Tusayan, we could try our luck at the Camper's village. "Have never known them to send anyone away" he said, that was a relief. 

Finally managed to find a sunny spot at the Camper's village. And we were just in time. At least 10 people arrived after us and we were lucky to be able to choose our tenting spot! Too tired to walk around, even to look at the town. So made a quick meal, and off to bed we went. Tomorrow was to be a long day, we wanted to go trailing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment