Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 24: 20th April 2011

The Grand Canyon: the Rim trail 


It was an early and excited start to the day, all ready to walk around. There are few days when I wake up early, and fewer days when an early start has me excited. We were ready to head out by 930, and I was all set for the trail, with sun block generously applied all over.


"Let's go" I chirped. 
"haven't you forgotten something?" V was in a mood for puzzle games. 
"Breakfast? I cooked and we ate, remember"
"No, not that. Something important"
"What?"
"The rest of your jeans! Where is it?"
"VERY FUNNY! I am wearing shorts"
"Is that all you will wear?"
"YES. get used to it" conversation over.  


We reached the Grand Canyon visitor centre by 1030 and parked the motorcycle, determined to use the shuttle bus and walk. We picked up the "map & guide" and quickly scanned to identify the 'easy' and 'moderate' trails. I truely believe in 'know your own limitations' and nothing could motivate me to attempt a 'strenuous' trail. We identified two trails that we wanted to accomplish. The "Rim Trail" which was an easy listed, walking around the rim of the canyon as the name suggested, and the 'South Kabab trail", going down the canyon.  
We were to do the rim trail today, and the south Kaibab one, the next day, since that required us to carry some food and water. We had intended to start around 6 am, the next morning, so that we would cover maximum distance before it got too hot. Today was already too late to attempt this one, so we stuck to the rim trail.  

We walked around the entire rim, reading materials, knowing about the Grand Canyon was formed, how old the rocks are, and how it changed over a period of time. It is truly nature's wonder, and mother nature makes you feel insignificant, standing at the rim looking across what lies ahead of you. It is a masterpiece, beyond words. 


PhotobucketPhotobucket


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

The Colorado rover cut through layers of rocks to form the Grand Canyon. It took the mighty Colorado a total of 6 million years to make the Canyon what it is now. And it still carves the canyon, the thickness of an A4 sheet of paper, every year! This Canyon has some of the earth's oldest rocks. And the rocks in the canyon are named according to their age. The lower most layer is the oldest, formed almost a billion years ago. They say that this layer is almost as old as the earth itself. 

And I was surprised to know that the rock layers have a lot of Hindu names. The lowermost layer is the Brahma Schist, then there are the the Vishnu Schist; there is also one Rama Schist! Wonder why they are named after the Hindu Gods! Beats me! Any explanations to this are welcome, as I am itching to know. 

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



The surprise wasn't over yet. They also have a formation called the SHIVA TEMPLE!!!! Please someone??

I wonder if they associate India being the oldest civilization on earth (which is probably true), and so the Hindu Gods automatically become the oldest known names??? Who knows what they were thinking!

I noticed something that caught my eye, and my mind! I couldn't get over the fact that even here in the US, people were so stupid as to do this --->

I always thought that this kind of stuff ONLY happened in the so called third-world-countries!!!

Felt sort of good to know that idiots exist everywhere, and bad to see this in Grand Canyon -- mixed emotions, you know!


The trail was much longer than I had thought. Finally managed to finish it, though I was more than huffing and puffing towards the end of it!

And with my-legs-are-hurting whine, looking for a stick that I could use as a trail-stick.
"You are not allowed to do that" as usual V had his two cents
"Why?"
"They have posted all over.. gathering firewood is prohibited"
"Excuse me! I am looking for a trail-stick, not firewood"
"What prevents you from burning it AFTER you have completed the trail?" V had his doubts
"Well, now that you say it.. it actually is a good idea" and I went back to my stick search.
"You are growing old" V wasn't done
"Now where did THAT come from?"
"You need a walking stick"
"No, I need a TRAILING stick"
"Same shit"
"SHUT UP"

We did manage to finish the trail, and I did not complain AT ALL post this conversation, fearing to be labeled as the growing-old-whining-woman! (Not that it helped... I did get called by that name a couple of times after all, till I threatened to divorce V if he didn't stop... it worked)

A quick trip to the Mather camp ground to reserve a site for tomorrow - 21st, (we were in luck and we did manage to get one on account of a last minute cancellation!) and we were all set to head to our Camper Village (in Tusayan) for a beer!

Nothing like a hard earned beer by the side a well built fire on a cold evening.... LOVELY, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment